Summer tents are the best way to stay cool when you are camping in hot weather. They make sure air flows in and out of your tent instead of keeping all the hot air inside the tent.
The most common summer tent is mesh so you can get the most air flowing in while keeping bugs and other creatures out. But you can also opt for a more durable or weatherproof option if you want to be prepared for inclement weather.
Below you will find the top five summer tents, each of which has different features. Read on so you can choose the best summer tent for your next hot-weather camping trip. For more options, see our detailed reviews on backpacking tent for tall person, tent with screen, and other camping tents.
- Our Team’s One-Person Backpacking Tent Picks
- Best 5 Hot Weather Tents
- # 5 – 2-Person Camping Tent – Lightweight Outdoor Tent for Backpacking, Hiking, or Beach by Wakeman Outdoors
- Comparison Table: Summer Tents
- Buying Guide Questions: What to Look for in Hot Weather Tents?
- Hot Weather Tent FAQs
Our Team’s One-Person Backpacking Tent Picks
- Overall best hot weather tent: Clostnature Lightweight Backpacking Tent – 3 Season Ultralight Waterproof Camping Tent
- Best lightweight mesh summer tent: Benvo Trekking Pole Tent Netting Tent Breeze Mesh Inner Tent with Good Ventilation
- Best budget summer tent: 2-Person Camping Tent – Lightweight Outdoor Tent for Backpacking, Hiking, or Beach by Wakeman Outdoors
- Best waterproof summer tent: FE Active Waterproof Camping Tent
- Best durable summer tent: Coleman Dome Tent for Camping | Sundome Tent with Easy Setup
Best 5 Hot Weather Tents
# 1 – Clostnature Lightweight Backpacking Tent – 3-Season Ultralight Waterproof Camping Tent
- WATERPROOF&DURABLE: Polyester rain fly&groundsheet&bathtub with PU 5000 coating is firmer than you expected. Weatherproof material with factory-sealed seams keeps you dry and comfortable in all season&all weather condition! Better material but more affordable! You really need an appropriate lightweight 2 person tent for backpacking!
- LARGE SIZE&LIGHTWEIGHT: Ultralight 2 person tent! Tent's size 7'3''x 4'11''x 3'10''. Weight: 5.7lbs. Packed Size: 16.5''x5.9''x5.9'', easy to put in one's backpack. Larger than most 2 person backpacking tents and even could fit a little dog more. Great as a boy or a girl scout tent
- QUICK SETUP&COMPACT: Free-standing and two Aluminum poles designed for lightweight hiking tent's fast pitching. Easily set up by one person with no experience. This ultralight backpacking tent is compact and portable, and also great for Hiking, Bikepacking, Kayaking, Mountaineering, Fishing, or Car Camping
One of the top summer tents is the Clostnature lightweight backpacking tent. You can use this tent in three seasons, but summer is best thanks to its mesh walls for maximum ventilation. There are two doors and two vestibules you can open for extra air and easy access to the tent.
But I like that you can still use this tent in inclement weather. It is made with factory-sealed seams to keep the inside of the tent dry, and there is a rainfly you can use to cover the tent when it does rain.
The tent is lightweight, so it works well for backpackers, hikers, and beginners. It also goes up easily so anyone can pitch it, even kids like boy and girl scouts.
You have some size and color options to customize this tent. You can choose a two-person, three-person, or four-person option. Colorwise you can opt for green or yellow.
# 2 – Benvo Trekking Pole Tent Netting Tent Breeze Mesh Inner Tent with Good Ventilation
- SPACIOUS INTERIOR ROOM- Our mesh inner tent measures 6.8 x 3.9 feet with over 43inch center height. Spacious room for 2 person and other camping gears. Ultra light with only 1.5 lb includes 6 tent stakes and 2 tie strings(285cm long for each rope)
- ABSOLUTE WATERPROOF BOTTOM- This tent features an updated seam design and a new material for a complete waterproof floor which will keep you dry from wet soils. Perfect inner tent for clear days and nights to enjoy the breeze. If for rainy days, bring your own flysheet(not included) to keep you dry from the roof
- GREAT VENTILATION& STRONG MESH- Mesh tent body with two easy double-sided entry doors guaranteed a much better ventilation compared to normal tents. A perfect summer tent for keeping the insects out and enjoy your pleasant trip
Another option for the best hot weather tent is the Benvo net mesh tent. This tent has the best ventilation of all the tents on this list. It is entirely made from mesh so you feel like you are sleeping in the fresh air, but still get protection from bugs.
Since the tent is mesh, it is see-through so you get no privacy with this one. But, you can put up a tarp or a lightweight rainfly, not included, for some privacy and protection.
You can even use this tent in rainy weather if you want, but you need to get a rainfly or other cover, as one is not included in the tent.
I like how lightweight this tent is at just 1.5 pounds. It comes with a tent, six stakes, and two strings to keep it from blowing away. However, you also need a hiking pole to tie the tent to, or you can tie it to a tree, but it makes your placement options less flexible.
It has plenty of space for two people to sleep and room for your gear.
# 3 – FE Active Waterproof Camping Tent
- DESIGN: The Banff was designed by outdoor enthusiasts from California, USA. It was created for the camper, hiker, backpacker on the go looking to save space and weight on their pack. This summer camping tent is the epitome of less is more by removing the complexity of hardware and settling for a firmly structured tent that is easy to setup and breakdown. This adult camping tent has one screen door to keep bugs out and a small removable rainfly that allows airflow for a comfortable night's sleep
- CONSTRUCTION: This family camping tent is constructed with durable 190T PU polyester and is additionally coated with a 1500mm PU making the Banff a water resistant tent. The included poles to provide structure for the tent are made of fiberglass. The Banff camping tent has a small rainfly to cover the top of the tent allowing for airflow during spring & summer days. The zipper has a dual slider to be able to open & close the tent from the inside & outside making it your ideal backpacking gear
- DIMENSIONS: FE Active’s camping tent is designed for lightweight compact practicability for the outdoors. The base of the Banff tent is 95.5 inches long, 84 inches wide, 53.5 inches tall and it weighs 5.1 pounds, which can fit 3 to 4 sleeping bags. Its carry bag is 17 in x 5.5 in x 4.5 in. Its compact nature is a great outdoor fishing tent for adults and will definitely be part of your favorite camping gear making this tent your go-to camping accessories.
Another great option for a summer tent is the FE Active waterproof camping tent. The tent is great for summer nights, whether it is rainy or not.
There is a rainfly included that you can use to keep out the rain. But when it’s not rainy, you can take it off and maximize air flow throughout the tent thanks to the breathable screen on the top.
And there is a screen door that makes the airflow in the tent even better. So you will feel like you aren’t even sleeping in a tent, but you still get protection from bugs.
I like this tent because it is simple but durable. You can easily put up the tent using the high-quality fiberglass tent poles that are still lightweight. This tent is great for backpackers and hikes since it is only five pounds.
You can get this tent for two or four people. Or, if you want something to use in other seasons, there are also two-person and four-person all-season options in the same design.
# 4 – Coleman Dome Tent for Camping | Sundome Tent with Easy Setup
- Dome tent with a sturdy frame that withstands 35+ mph winds
- Easy setup in only 10 minutes. Good for backpacking
- Weathertec system with patented welded floors and inverted seams to keep you dry
Another option that I recommend checking out is the Coleman Dome Tent, which is one of the best hot-weather tents to choose from.
The tent is great for any weather in the summer as it can withstand winds of 35 miles per hour or higher. You can set up the heavy-duty poles and tent in just ten minutes, which is well worth it for such a high-quality tent.
It is also great if there is also rain or you are camping in a moist spot. The tent is implemented with a Weathertec system that includes welded floors and inverted seams to keep out water.
When the weather is nice, you get plenty of airflow through the tent thanks to the large windows and ground vent.
I like that you have some options to choose from with this tent. Here are the following sizes and colors you get to choose from:
- 2 person
- 3 person
- 4 person
- 6 person
- Navy Blue
- Palm Green
- Spruce Green
# 5 – 2-Person Camping Tent – Lightweight Outdoor Tent for Backpacking, Hiking, or Beach by Wakeman Outdoors
- 2 PERSON TENT - This lightweight two-person small tent has enough space for you and a friend. This tent for camping is ideal for hiking, fishing, weekend music festivals, or as a beach tent, making it the perfect addition to your camping essentials.
- CONVENIENT FEATURES - The tent for beach features fiberglass poles, a removable rain fly to protect against unexpected weather, a ventilation window to encourage comfortable airflow, and an interior storage pocket to keep your camping supplies organized.
- DUAL-LAYER DOOR - The combination of the inner screen layer and the outer zippered fabric layer of the easy-up tent door provides plenty of air as well as privacy. Simply secure the doors with sewn-in ties to let the breeze in and keep mosquitos out.
One of the most affordable options for a two-person summer tent is the Wakeman lightweight tent. It only weighs three pounds so you can backpack and hike with it quite easily.
I like how easy it is to set up and there are just two poles you need to set up with the tent. It also comes with a carrying bag to store everything between trips or campsites. There is also a removable rainfly included for any bad weather you might be in.
You will get plenty of airflow through the tent in the summer thanks to the large door. It has two layers so you can open the outer layer and tie it back, and let air flow in through the inner mesh layer.
There are also storage pockets on the inside of the tent for you to store all your small belongings.
You can choose between six colors for this tent:
Comparison Table: Summer Tents
|Clostnature Lightweight Backpacking Tent
|87″L x 59″W x 46″H
|Benvo Trekking Pole Tent Netting Tent
|47.24″L x 43.31″W x 82.68″H
|FE Active Waterproof Camping Tent
|2 or 4 people
|95.5″L x 53.5″W x 53.5″H
|Coleman Dome Tent for Camping
|2, 3, 4, or 6 people
|84″L x 60″W x 48″H
|2-Person Camping Tent by Wakeman Outdoors
|77″L x 57″W x 40″H
Buying Guide Questions: What to Look for in Hot Weather Tents?
First, when looking at summer tents, you need to consider how many people you want to fit in your tent. The more people you put in a tent, the hotter it will be thanks to body heat, so the smaller the tent, the better.
You also want to decide if you want something waterproof. The coolest tents are not waterproof because they are mesh to let in the most airflow. However, if you want to be prepared for any weather, you should opt for a tent with a removable rainfly so you can stay dry or get air flowing depending on the weather.
Finally, consider how heavy you want your summer tent to be. The best hot weather tent for backpacking will be one of the lightweight ones, so you are not carrying too much during a hike.
Hot Weather Tent FAQs
There are a lot of tent options you can choose from for summer camping. The best tents will let in the most airflow so you stay cool.
The top option is the Clostnature Lightweight Backpacking Tent – 3 Season Ultralight Waterproof Camping Tent. It is waterproof but still lets in a good amount of air.
If you want something more durable or more budget-friendly, there are some great summer tents you can consider.
No matter which option you choose, summer tents are a great way to stay cool during a camping trip in hot weather.