A backpack with detachable daypack is one of the best ways to stay organized and make a camping or hiking trip easier. You can store all your gear in the bags, which connect and go on your back as usual.
But, then, when you need to carry only the essentials with you, like if you are leaving your campsite for a day or just want to protect your valuables, you can detach the daypack. The daypack makes it easier, so you are not carrying your entire backpack with all your gear when you do not need to.
This article has the top five backpacks with detachable daypacks. They have different features, sizes, and types of daypacks so that you can find a good option for you. You can explore more hiking backpack options in a separate article.
- Our Team's Backpack with Detachable Daypack Picks
- 5 Top-rated 2-in-1 Backpacks
- # 1 – Roamm Nomad 65 +15 Backpack – 80L Liter Internal Frame Pack with Detachable Daypack – Best Bag for Camping, Hiking, Backpacking, and Travel
- # 2 – TianYaOutDoor Military Tactical Backpack Detachable Molle Bag Large-capacity Rucksack Camping Hiking Backpack for Men Women
- # 3 – TriPole Colonel 95 Liters Rucksack + Detachable Day Pack
- # 4 – NOOLA Military Tactical Backpack Molle Bag Army Assault Pack Detachable Rucksack
- # 5 – CVLIFE Tactical Backpack Military Army Rucksack 60L Large Assault Pack Detachable Molle Bag
- Comparison Table: Backpack with Detachable Daypack
- Buying Guide Questions: What to Look for in a 2 in 1 Backpack?
- Detachable Backpack FAQs
Our Team’s Backpack with Detachable Daypack Picks
- Best Overall Backpack with Detachable Daypack: Roamm Nomad 65 +15 Backpack – 80L Liter Internal Frame Pack with Detachable Daypack
- Best budget backpack with detachable daypack: CVLIFE Tactical Backpack Military Army Rucksack 60L Large Assault Pack Detachable Molle Bag
- Best large capacity backpack with detachable daypack: TriPole Colonel 95 Liters Rucksack + Detachable Day Pack
- Best durable backpack with detachable daypack: TianYaOutDoor Military Tactical Backpack Detachable Molle Bag Large-capacity Rucksack Camping Hiking Backpack for Men Women
- Best waterproof backpack with detachable daypack: NOOLA Military Tactical Backpack Molle Bag Army Assault Pack Detachable Rucksack
5 Top-rated 2-in-1 Backpacks
# 1 – Roamm Nomad 65 +15 Backpack – 80L Liter Internal Frame Pack with Detachable Daypack – Best Bag for Camping, Hiking, Backpacking, and Travel
- ENJOY A COMFORTABLE AND PERFECT FIT with fully adjustable shoulder harnesses + EASILY FIT YOUR OVERSIZED WATER BOTTLE in the mesh side pockets, and the reinforced bottom of the side pockets let you carry tent poles, tripods, or snow pickets with peace of mind + STASH EXTRA LAYERS or wet gear in the large front stretch pocket + THIS IS THE BACKPACK FOR CAMPING, HIKING, BACKPACKING, OR TRAVEL, it’s the perfect bag for all your outdoor adventures with 80L liters of storage
- +15 FULL FEATURED DETACHABLE DAY PACK included for side trips or summits, including ice axe / trekking pole loop with shock cord shaft retainer + CARRY SERIOUS LOADS with the sturdy lightweight alloy frame, frame sheet, and aluminum stay + STAY HYDRATED with a reservoir sleeve and ambidextrous hydration ports, in addition to the two water bottle pockets + KEEP YOUR STUFF DRY with the included high visibility waterproof rain cover for extreme weather
- ORGANIZE AND ACCESS YOUR GEAR with top, bottom, and side access to the main compartment, plus an adjustable sleeping bag diaphragm + DUAL ICE AXE / TREKKING POLE LOOPS with shock cord shaft retainers let you stow both trekking poles and ice axes quickly and securely + CARRY YOUR GEAR IN COMFORT WITH INTERNAL FRAME SUSPENSION that’s adjustable and super breathable to keep your back cool and comfortable, with a detachable foam and mesh hip belt for added support
One of the best options for a backpack with a detachable daypack is the Roamm 80-liter backpack. It is a comfortable backpack to carry and has adjustable shoulder straps so anyone can adjust the bag to fit them.
The main bag is 65 liters. Then there is a 15-liter detachable backpack on the outside. It just snaps onto the outside of the larger backpack, so you can use them both or just one easily.
Both bags are water resistant, and there is a high visibility waterproof rain cover included with them. The backpack is nylon, and it was made in the USA.
These bags have a lot of additional features too:
- Mesh side pockets for oversized water bottles
- Reinforced bottom to carry heavy items
- Large front stretch pocket
- Ambidextrous hydration ports
- Adjustable sleeping bag diaphragm
- Trekking pole loops
- Detachable foam and mesh hip belt
- Free-floating top lid
- Reflective strips for visibility
# 2 – TianYaOutDoor Military Tactical Backpack Detachable Molle Bag Large-capacity Rucksack Camping Hiking Backpack for Men Women
- 【Durable Tactical Backpack】Tearproof camping hiking backpack made of high-quality nylon material which guarantees your long-term use.The camping hiking backpack texture is tough and odorless. For traditional hiking backpacks, belts and high quality zippers are better with durability and scratch resistance.
- 【Larg capacity Hiking Backpack】Scratch resistant army rucksack have large capacity main storage and detachable molle bag , the main bag can hold clothes, quilts, tents and travel items,The detachable molle bag can be used to carry some frequently used items, making it easier for you to find items.
- 【Comfortable Rucksack Design】The military tactical backpack is ergonomically designed with adjustable breathable shoulder straps with plenty of foam padding to help relieve pressure on the shoulders. The wider straps and breathable back support provide you with a comfortable experience while using the Rucksack.
Another great option is the TianYaOutDoor Military Tactical Backpack Detachable Molle Bag. The detachable bag is not a backpack but a smaller molle bag that can go over your shoulder. It is a great option if you just need something smaller for your day hikes or important items.
These bags are made of high-quality nylon which means they will last, even in the harshest conditions. It is also tearproof, so you do not need to worry about going through tough terrain. Even the zippers are durable.
The larger main bag has a lot of space for all your hiking and camping gear, including tents and clothes. Then you can put your most important items in the molle bag for easy access or to grab when you are leaving camp.
The bags only weigh 3.63 pounds, so any adults and even teenagerrs will find them easy to carry.
Here are the color options for this tactical backpack:
- Black camo
- Woodland camo
# 3 – TriPole Colonel 95 Liters Rucksack + Detachable Day Pack
- DETACHABLE DAY PACK - 12 Litre capacity day pack that can be detached from the main rucksack for day hikes or city tours for carrying small handy items like snacks and water. Comes with carabiner hooks on the front and a key hook inside with padded shoulder straps and breathable back mesh.
- INTERNAL FRAME - The rucksack is designed for long duration travelling and hiking and is equipped with a fibre frame at the back compounded by an aluminum rod to provide maximum load carrying capacity.
- RAIN COVER - The rucksack comes with a fully water proof rain cover which is stored inside the velcro pocket at the base of the rucksack. The cover also comes handy to prevent dust.
Another good option for a hiking backpack carry-on with a detachable day pack is the TriPole Colonel Rucksack. The daypack is 12 L and clips off the main bag for quick access. It is perfect for taking some gear with you without having to bring your entire backpack.
The bags come with a rain cover to protect your gear from getting wet in the rain. The inside of the bag has a sturdy frame, so you can count on it to carry all your stuff without breaking.
My favorite feature is the bottom opening which easily lets you take items out from the bottom of the bag. There is a fabric separator in the middle of the bag to keep the top and bottom items apart, but you can loosen it if you want everything in one compartment.
You can choose between three sizes for this backpack depending on if you want more space or would rather have something smaller and lighter:
- 80 L
- 85 L
- 95 L
There are also multiple color options for this rucksack:
- Olive green
- Army green
- Digital camouflage
# 4 – NOOLA Military Tactical Backpack Molle Bag Army Assault Pack Detachable Rucksack
- 100% High Density Polyester with Waterproof Lining
- Two-way heavy duty Zipper closure
- 50L or 60L Combined Backpack: Main compartment size: 13"*19.7"*8.7"/33*50*22CM(W*H*D). Our large military tactical backpack is combined with 1 x front detachable bag which can be used as a tactical fanny pack separately.
If you want something with a detachable daypack, try the NOOLA Military Tactical Backpack Army Assault Pack. This backpack is smaller than the options above at just 50 to 60 L.
The molle bag detaches from the main bag, and you can wear it as a fanny pack or over your shoulder. Both bags are made from high-density polyester, and the linings in them are waterproof to keep your gear dry.
You will be comfortable carrying these bags around thanks to the shoulder straps that are made of breathable mesh. There is also a front and side load compression system.
The backpack and molle bag also come with an insulated compartment where you can put your hydration bladder on the hanging clips.
This backpack comes in the following colors:
- Black Multicam
- Black Blue
# 5 – CVLIFE Tactical Backpack Military Army Rucksack 60L Large Assault Pack Detachable Molle Bag
- Tactical backpack is made of high density 600D(900X600) Polyester, water-resistant and durable.
- Spacious military backpack has one main large compartment, one front detachable bag which can be used as a tactical fanny pack separately, two side detachable tactical backpack accessories bags which can be used as hiking sport bags. this multipurpose backpack can be flexibly regarded as a 50L and 60L backpack.
- Molle system of this military molle backpack rucksack allows you to easily attach outdoor gear, more bags and sleeping pad (water bladder is not included).
Another option with a detachable molle bag for your daypack is the CVLIFE Tactical Backpack Military Army Rucksack. This backpack is 60 L with a 13-inch shoulder drop.
It is made of high-quality polyester, which is water-resistant and durable. There is one large main compartment. Then you have the detachable molle bag on the back, plus two side bags that can be used as first aid kits or accessory packs.
I like the comfort features of this bag. There are mesh shoulder straps, a cinching waist strap, and dual compression straps. You will be able to carry the bag for long periods of time thanks to these.
Here are all the colors you can choose from for this backpack:
- Black with flag patch
- CP with flag patch
- Black CP with flag patch
- ACU with flag patch
- Black and blue with flag patch
- Army green with flag patch
Comparison Table: Backpack with Detachable Daypack
|2 in 1 Backpacks||Price||Backpack size||Daypack style||Material|
|Roamm Nomad 65 +15 Backpack – 80L Liter Internal Frame Pack with Detachable Daypack – Best Bag for Camping, Hiking, Backpacking, and Travel||$239.99||80 L||Backpack||Nylon|
|TianYaOutDoor Military Tactical Backpack Detachable Molle Bag Large-capacity Rucksack Camping Hiking Backpack for Men Women||$52.99||90 L||Molle||Nylon|
|TriPole Colonel 95 Liters Rucksack + Detachable Day Pack||$75.00||80, 85, or 90 L||Backpack||Polyester|
|NOOLA Military Tactical Backpack Molle Bag Army Assault Pack Detachable Rucksack||$38.99||50 or 60 L||Molle||Polyester|
|CVLIFE Tactical Backpack Military Army Rucksack 60L Large Assault Pack Detachable Molle Bag||$39.99||50 or 60 L||Molle||Polyester|
Buying Guide Questions: What to Look for in a 2 in 1 Backpack?
First, you need to decide what kind of daypack you want. As you see with the options above, you can opt for a backpack-style daypack or a molle which is used as a fanny pack or over-the-shoulder bag. Backpacks will give you more space but may be bulky if you do not need much in your daypack.
You also need to consider how much space you need in both your bags. If you want something smaller or are taking a shorter trip, you can go for a 50 L bag. But, if you are packing a lot and need more space, you can find a bag as big as 95 L combined between the backpack and the daypack.
Detachable Backpack FAQs
If you are going on a trip where you need a lot of items in your backpack but aren’t going to want to carry them around the entire time, you should get a backpack with a detachable daypack. This will allow you to only take the essentials in the daypack when necessary instead of always carrying around a massive backpack.
No matter which option you choose, having a backpack with a detachable daypack will make your hiking and camping trips easier.