Using blackout tents for camping is a great idea to maximize your sleep. They keep the light out of your tent throughout the day so you can sleep better and longer on your camping trips.
This article has the top seven blackout tents for camping, and there are a variety of sizes so you can find the right one for you.
- 1. Coleman Tent Oak Canyon 4, 4 Person Family Tent with Blackout Bedroom Technology
- 2. Coleman Tent The Blackout, Festival Camping Tent with Blackout Bedroom Technology
- 3. Ozark Trail 10-Person Dark Rest Instant Cabin Tent
- 4. CORE 6-Person Tent with Block Out Technology
- 5. EVER ADVANCED Instant Blackout Camping Tent 6 Person for Family with Rainfly
- 6. Coastrail Outdoor 4/6 Person Dark Room Instant Tent
- 7. Coleman Skydome Camping Tent with Dark Room Technology
Our Team’s Blackout Camping Tent Picks
7 Best Blackout Tents for Camping
1. Coleman Tent Oak Canyon 4, 4 Person Family Tent with Blackout Bedroom Technology
- Two XXL Blackout Bedrooms: With 99 percent of daylight being blocked out from the bedroom you will be sure to get a great night's sleep and not wake with the first light; up to 5°C cooler during the day
- Lightweight, sturdy and easy to pitch family size tunnel tent, fits 4 person; highly flexible and lightweight fibreglass/steel poles guarantee a good response to wind
- Large XXL living area: Spacious enough to take a family plus table and chairs; features one large PVC window with cover, offering the ultimate balance of light and privacy; two doors for easy access
A great choice for a blackout tent is the Coleman Oak Canyon Tent. It utilizes Coleman’s Blackout Bedroom Technology, which blocks out 99% of daylight so you can sleep at any time of day you want. You will also be able to sleep in thanks to the technology and not wake up at sunrise.
I like this tent because the blackout technology also keeps the inside of the tent cooler, so it is great to use on the hottest of summer days.
The tent fits a family of four and a table and chairs. There are two doors to make getting in and out of the tent easy. You can open up the PVC window for light when you want it. And the tent is water and bugproof thanks to the sealed seams and sewn-in groundsheet.
2. Coleman Tent The Blackout, Festival Camping Tent with Blackout Bedroom Technology
- ONE XXL BLACK OUT BEDROOM: with 99% of daylight being blocked out from the bedroom you will be sure to get a great night's sleep and not wake with the first light; up to 5°C cooler during the day
- LIGHTWEIGHT, STURDY AND EASY TO PITCH CAMPING DOME TENT: fits 3 person; highly flexible and lightweight fiberglass poles guarantee a good response to wind
- LARGE STORAGE AREA: spacious enough for storing gear or muddy boots; features PVC windows with covers, offering the ultimate balance of light and privacy; door for easy access
Another great tent is this three to four-person, four-season blackout tent, also by Coleman. It has the same great Blackout Technology as the tent above, so you can keep out 99% of light when you want it and keep the inside of the tent cool.
I like this tent because it is easy to set up using fiberglass poles. It is lightweight but still stays strong in the wind. It is also a great tent to use in the rain or sun since it is waterproof and provides 50 SPF UV protection.
And you have a storage area where you can keep your clothes and gear. You can open up the windows when you want some extra airflow, but they easily close up too for privacy and darkness.
3. Ozark Trail 10-Person Dark Rest Instant Cabin Tent
- Fully taped, factory-sealed seams provide dry zone camping with leak protection
- Electrical cord access for added convenience
- Rainfly included for long lasting rain protection
If you are looking for blackout tents for camping that fit a large group, check out the Ozark Trail 10-person tent. There is plenty of space for all your camping group and the double doors make it easy to enter the tent.
I like the added features on this tent, like the three lantern hooks on the sides and middle of the tent. So, even with the blackout windows, you can still get light in your tent without having to carry around a lantern. There is also a gear loft for conveniently storing and organizing your items.
You can use this tent in all four seasons, and the seams are factory sealed to keep the rain out. The rain fly is also included for additional protection from the rain.
4. CORE 6-Person Tent with Block Out Technology
- BLOCK OUT TECHNOLOGY: Block 90% of sunlight from entering your tent, keeping it cooler and allowing you to sleep in longer.
- WEATHER PROTECTION: H20 Block Technology combines water-repellent fabrics with a fully taped rainfly and sealed seams to resist rain.
- ADJUSTABLE VENTILATION: A lower air intake vent draws in cool air from the ground while mesh panels in the ceiling allow hot air to escape.
The CORE tent is a six person tent that has Block Out Technology. It blocks out 90% of sunlight, making it easy to sleep whenever and wherever you want. The dark walls and windows also keep the inside of the tent cool from the sun.
I like this tent for its organizational features, like the storage pockets, overhead gear loft, and lantern hook. Even with the Block Out technology, you will get plenty of airflow in the tent because of the mesh ceilings and air intake vents.
You can use this tent in all four seasons, and the fabric is water-repellent to keep you and your stuff dry.
5. EVER ADVANCED Instant Blackout Camping Tent 6 Person for Family with Rainfly
- DARK INSIDE TENT FOR PRIVACY: The blackout tent is perfect for sleeping in and allows you to have enough privacy space; It also keeps out most temp changes with the blackout fabric
- INSTANT TENT: The easy up camping tents can be set up in 60s, and it's easy for even 1 person
- GREAT VENTILATION: 3 large zippered mesh roll up windows and overhead net window for plenty of air flow and heat dissipation for the instant cabin tent; The skylight offers adequate vision for the camping tent while rainfly provides protection against the rain
Another one of the blackout tents for camping I highly recommend is the EVER ADVANCED Instant Blackout Tent. The tent sleeps six people and is made for all four seasons.
The blackout fabric allows you to sleep and get privacy whenever you want it. You are also protected from the heat and hot sun, so the inside of the tent stays cool. However, you can also open up the three large windows and overhead net window to let in air and light when you want it. There is also a rainfly included to keep the tent dry.
I love this tent because you can set it up in just sixty seconds, even if you are alone. And, even though it sleeps up to six people, it is compact when you fold it up, and it only weighs 22 pounds.
There is a place for you to bring electricity into the tent and pockets on the side of the tent to store your small items. And the tent has a wire channel to hang a lantern or anything else you might need.
6. Coastrail Outdoor 4/6 Person Dark Room Instant Tent
- Spacious: This darkroom tent is designed to give you plenty of space for sleeping and to move around during the day. This instant up tent has a center height of 6 feet making it easy to get changed in. This camping tent has plenty of room for a family of 4-6.
- Dark Room Fabric: Our Dark Room Fabric makes it easier to get quality sleep even when the sun is shining! Perfect for long summer days, music festivals, 24 hour races or any other time you need quality rest outside during the day.
- Great Ventilation & Convenient: 2 zippered mesh windows and a huge door give this tent amazing ventilation and make getting in and out a breeze. We added mesh storage pockets and lantern hooks on the ceiling to keep everyone organized on your camping trip.
Another great blackout tent is the Coastrail Dark Room Instant Tent, which provides a dark place for you to rest any time of day.
I like the ventilation this tent provides, so you will never get too hot inside. If you do not need darkness during the day, you can open up the two large mesh windows and door, which can convert into an awning. Inside the tent, you will find storage pockets and lantern hooks.
You can fit four to six people in this tent, and it is easy to transport no matter how many people you have. You can set up the tent in just a few minutes, and everything you need is included in the carrying bag. It only weighs 22 pounds.
7. Coleman Skydome Camping Tent with Dark Room Technology
- QUICK PITCH: Sets up in under 5 minutes thanks to pre-attached poles
- DARK ROOM TECHNOLOGY: Blocks 90% of sunlight so you can sleep in past sunrise; reduces heat (vs. a comparable Coleman tent) for a more comfortable rest anytime of day
- MORE HEADROOM: 20% more headroom than traditional Coleman dome tents thanks to nearly vertical walls
Another great blackout tent is the Coleman Skydome Camping Tent, which sleeps six people. It is equipped with Dark Room Technology, which keeps the sun out.
I like that this tent is easy to set up, and you can do it in less than five minutes using the pre-attached poles. The walls of the tent are vertical, so you get the maximum amount of space, especially at night. And the door is wide, so it is easy to get your gear and yourself in and out of the tent.
This tent also has great weather protection features, so you can use it in all four seasons. There are inverted seams, welded corners, and a tub-like floor designed by WeatherTec to keep the inside dry. And the frame of the tent is strong enough to withstand 35 mph winds.
You can also get this tent for four, eight, or ten people.
Comparison Table: Blackout Tents for Camping
|Blackout Tents for Camping||Price||Capacity||Size||Weight|
|Coleman Tent Oak Canyon 4, 4 Person Family Tent with Blackout Bedroom Technology||$469.32||4 people||190.94″L x 110.24″W x 78.74″H||40.78 pounds|
|Coleman Tent The Blackout, Festival Camping Tent with Blackout Bedroom Technology||$196.16||4 people||129.92″L x 78.74″W x 51.18″H||8.8 pounds|
|Ozark Trail 10-Person Dark Rest Instant Cabin Tent||$268.00||10 people||165″L x 120″W x 78″H||37.75 pounds|
|CORE 6-Person Tent with Block Out Technology||$129.99||6 people||132″L x 108″W x 66″H||16.25 pounds|
|EVER ADVANCED Instant Blackout Camping Tent 6 Person for Family with Rainfly||$159.99||6 people||108″L x 108″W x 73″H||22.3 pounds|
|Coastrail Outdoor 4/6 Person Dark Room Instant Tent||$189.99||4-6 people||118″L x 106″W x 80.5″H||21.6 pounds|
|Coleman Skydome Camping Tent with Dark Room Technology (6-Person)||$199.99||4-10 people||10 x 8 ft. 6 in. with 6 ft. Center Height 120”L x 102”W x 72”H||15.4 pounds|
Buying Guide Questions: What to look for in blackout tents for camping?
The most important factor in a blackout tent is how much daylight is prevented from entering the tent. A good blackout tent will keep out at least 90% of daylight, if not more.
It is also a good idea to find a blackout tent that will not get too hot in the sun, especially if you plan on using it in the middle of the day or camping somewhere without shade.
Blackout Tents Frequently Asked Questions
Blackout tents are a great way to keep the sun and heat out of your tent during the day. If you plan on sleeping or relaxing in your tent during the day, these are great tents to get.
There are plenty of good tents available, but I would recommend the Coleman Tent Oak Canyon 4-Person Family Tent with Blackout Bedroom Technology or any of the others listed above.
If you want some better sleep, check out the many blackout tents for camping available to you.
Sean is an accomplished backpacker with over 10 years of experience exploring the great outdoors. He has a passion for hiking, camping and off-grid living.