The best women’s hiking boots for Achilles Tendonitis should provide the heels with adequate cushioning and also have firm arch support to reduce tension in the Achilles tendon.
Achilles Tendonitis is caused by repetitive strain on the Achilles tendon. It’s the largest tendon in the body, stretching from the bones of your heel to your calf muscles. The tendon is used when you walk or run, so an injury to the tendon can cause pain around your heel and down the back of your leg.
If you’re a person who participates in sports or who loves to hit exciting trails on hiking trips, you’ll need hiking boots that will support your Achilles Tendonitis and allow you to continue with your favorite activity. It is also important to have properly fitting shoes to prevent chafing and irritation of the skin.
- Ten of the Best Women’s Hiking Boots for Achilles Tendonitis
- 1. KEEN Women's Targhee 2 Low Height Waterproof Hiking Shoe
- 2. XPETI Women's Dimo Mid Waterproof Outdoor Hiking Boot
- 3. Merrell Women's Moab 2 Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot
- 4. Columbia Women's Newton Ridge Plus Hiking Boot
- 5. Mishmi Takin Kameng Mid Event Waterproof Hiking Boot
- 6. Dr. Comfort Vigor Women’s Therapeutic Extra Depth Hiking Boot
- 7. Orthofeet Hiking Boots for Women [BONUS!]
- 8. Oboz Women’s Bridger 7 Insulated B-Dry Waterproof Hiking Boot
- 9. Zamberlan 1996 Vioz Lux GTX RR Hiking Boots
- 10. Grisport Women's Hiking Backpacking Boot
- Buying Guide Questions about buying the Best Women’s Hiking Boots for Achilles Tendonitis
Here are some of our picks for the best budget, luxury and durable women’s hiking boots for Achilles Tendonitis:
Ten of the Best Women’s Hiking Boots for Achilles Tendonitis
1. KEEN Women’s Targhee 2 Low Height Waterproof Hiking Shoe
- WATERPROOF: KEEN.DRY waterproof breathable membrane keeps your feet dry and comfortable all day long by allowing vapor out without letting water in
- TRACTION: KEEN ALL-TERRAIN rubber outsole provides high traction grip in muddy environments and on rocky surfaces; Non marking rubber outsoles leaves no trace or imprints when walking indoors
- SUPPORT: External Support Shank delivers balance on uneven surfaces; Contoured heel provides next level stability
This waterproof hiking shoe is made with a durable upper and features a moisture-wicking lining. Women appreciate that the Keen Women’s Targhee 2 Low Height Waterproof hiking boot is built off the brand’s traditional wider footwear form.
The hiking boot offers excellent support, extra toe protection and a wide toe box. They also make use of a natural probiotic-based technology known as Eco Anti-Odor. The cushioned collar reduces irritation and discomfort around the ankles.
- Excellent toe protection
- Wide toe box
- Supportive shoe
- A bit wide for narrow-footed people
2. XPETI Women’s Dimo Mid Waterproof Outdoor Hiking Boot
- Waterproof mesh upper and X-DRY Membrane waterproof, Moisture-wicking mesh lining.Keep your feet dry in hiking trips
- Molded TPU ankle support. Integrated hided EVA midsole, Light weight and Sturdy enough even when carrying weight
- The mountaineering boots come with a durable rubber outsole with multi-directional lugs for optimal trail grip. Which is designed for traction on varied terrain.
These are waterproof, breathable boots with molded TPU ankle support. They are perfect for hikes and have a durable synthetic upper. You can expect comfort when hiking with the Xpeti Women’s Dimo Mid Waterproof Outer Hiking Boot as they are geared toward women with Achilles Tendonitis.
They come with supportive outsoles and foot bed. They come with a durable rubber outsole with multi-directional lugs. This ensures excellent grip on different kinds of terrain.
- Value for money boot
- Quality materials
- Durable rubber outsole with multi-directional lugs
- Users say the boots run small so order a half-size up
3. Merrell Women’s Moab 2 Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot
- Waterproof membrane seals out water and lets moisture escape
- Pigskin leather and mesh upper
- Metal hook traditional lace closure
Did you know that Moab stands for ‘Mother of all Boots’? These Merrell Women’s Moab 2 Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot offer excellent comfort with a supportive footbed. With problems such as Achilles tendon, the hiking boot comes with targeted heel cushioning which promises comfort by reducing stress on the foot. The rubber sole offers slip resistance and your foot stays nice and dry with M Select DRY which seals out water.
- Well-padded ankle
- Excellent comfort
- Some users complained of the lacing system not being durable enough
4. Columbia Women’s Newton Ridge Plus Hiking Boot
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: Columbia Women's Newton Ridge Plus Waterproof Hiking Boot features our lightweight, durable midsole for long lasting comfort, superior cushioning, and high energy return as well as an advanced traction rubber sole for slip-free movement on rough ground.
- HANDY FEATURES: Treacherous days out on the trail are comfortable and worry-free with this boot's waterproof full-grain leather and mesh bootie construction and its durable mesh tongue for breathability.
- ADJUSTABLE FEATURES: The Newton Ridge Plus Waterproof Hiking Boot features a lace-up closure for an adjustable, secure fit.
With this trendy lace-up boot, you get superb cushioning that is so important for Achilles Tendonitis. They are lightweight and offer excellent arch support. The midsole of the Columbia Women’s Newton Ridge Plus Hiking Boot provides comfort hour after hour and the superior cushioning allows for impact absorption.
The upper-body is made of leather and mesh fabric, making the boot waterproof. The rubber outsole provides max support. They require a break-in period but come at a great price, but because they are mostly leather, they tend to lack breathability on longer hikes.
- Lightweight and good-looking
- Comfortable for people with plantar fasciitis
- Support for arch and ankle
- A break-in period is required
5. Mishmi Takin Kameng Mid Event Waterproof Hiking Boot
- BEST BACKPACKING BOOT as per MEN'S HEALTH (vide 'Gifts for Outdoorsmen 2017') - Optimized for long distance hiking, backpacking or hunting in wet & treacherous conditions, Kameng is a solidly built boot. A 'NO COMPROMISE PRODUCT' made for avid outdoorsmen & women fed up of poor quality boots from big brands.
- WATERPROOF + GREAT FOR PEOPLE WITH HOT FEET - Quick drying with 100 % waterproof and air permeable eVent membrane, Kameng has superb breathability which keep your feet cool and dry.
- BEST GRIP IN TOWN - Kameng’s grip gives you peace of mind.Vibram Megagrip rubber enables superior traction on wet surfaces. High profile Vibram Gironda outsole provides stability on rocks.
This is a super boot that both men and women can wear. The boots do super well for long-distance hiking. These boots have been developed by world-class mountaineers who wanted a boot with exceptional comfort and durability standards.
Made with premium suede and Cordura leather uppers, you get a waterproof boot with the Mishmi Takin Kameng Mid Event for wet and snowy conditions. The outsole is made from rubber and provides excellent traction on wet surfaces. The stretch heel section offers comfort while descending slopes, made with an Ortholite footbed to keep feet comfortable.
- Breathable and lightweight
- Excellent grip on dry and wet areas
- Made with premium materials
- Not insulated enough to handle extreme cold for prolonged periods
6. Dr. Comfort Vigor Women’s Therapeutic Extra Depth Hiking Boot
- WOMEN’S WORK/HIKING BOOT - A leather hiking boot that’s casual and stylish for work, and rugged enough for outdoor adventures.
- CONTACT CLOSURE AND NO-TIE ELASTIC LACE - Adjustable contact closure allows for easy adjustability and personalized comfort.
- LEATHER UPPERS - Natural material to help regulate heat and keep feet cool and dry.
If you’re looking for supreme comfort whilst hiking, Dr. Comfort Vigor Hiking Boot promises to provide you with all the support and comfort you need to protect your Achilles tendon.
As a good-looking hiking boot, the therapeutic shoe makes use of gel inserts for more comfort and support. The luxurious leather hiking boot is stylish but rugged for all your hikes. It comes with Velcro closure with a no-tie elastic lace. The protective toe box provides additional protection.
- Gel inserts for support and comfort
- Luxurious leather boot
- Protective toe box
- They’re not waterproof
7. Orthofeet Hiking Boots for Women [BONUS!]
- Discover a new level of comfort with OrthoFeet Delta Boots. Our Ortho-Cushion system feels like walking on clouds, making your outdoor adventures effortlessly comfortable.
- Cushioning sole with a mild rocker improves the ease of walking & soft, padded fabric interior with no overlays eliminates irritation, providing superior protection for sensitive feet.
- Orthofeet shoes have unmatched cushioning and benefit 20+ conditions including foot and heel pain, plantar fasciitis, diabetes, arthritis, bunions, achilles tendonitis, hammer toes, and more.
The Orthofeet Delta series is a hidden gem and offers excellent comfort that comes with a pain-relief design. Women going on a hike want to be sure of guaranteed comfort and they can with these amazing Orthofeet hiking boots for women.
Made with a mix of fabric and leather, they are thought to be the most comfortable orthotic boots, allowing one to be pain-free while hiking.
With premium Orthotic insoles, adjustable arch booster as well as lots of cushioning, you won’t have to endure pain in the heel, hips and lower back. Lightweight and with a wide toe box, you have plenty of room to avoid bunions. You can safely say that these are some of the best women’s boots for Achilles Tendonitis.
- The boots come from an orthopedic footwear company
- The boots offer comfort for 17 different ailments
- You can be pain-free while hiking
- Difficult to get in other countries outside the USA
8. Oboz Women’s Bridger 7 Insulated B-Dry Waterproof Hiking Boot
- Waterproof nubuck leather uppers keep the elements out and add durability
- Oboz BDry waterproof breathable membranes keep feet dry while 200g 3Mââ Thinsulateââ insulation keeps them warm
- Molded rubber toe caps protect toes and add durability
With words such as waterproof, comfy, good traction, supportive and warm to describe the Oboz Women’s Bridger 7 Insulated B-Dry waterproof hiking boot for women, the rubber sole too is flexible. This means the hiking shoe will flex with your foot, avoiding pressure and stress on the pain points.
It’s worth noticing the Nylon shank which provides enhanced support between the heel and the forefoot. Add to that supportive balanced cushioning from the single density Eva midsole.
The Sapphire hiking boot is a more feminine hiking boot for women who find other styles a bit masculine. The hiking boot has a female-specific fit and is light-to-mid-weight with good support, but not as much as the heavier Bridger.
- Good traction
- Eva midsole
- May have poor traction on ice
9. Zamberlan 1996 Vioz Lux GTX RR Hiking Boots
- PU coated rubber rands add durability and life to the boot. Waxed Tuscan full-grain leather uppers are rich and long-lasting. Leathers enhanced with Zamberlan's Hydrobloc treatment for added water resistance and durability over time. Calf-leather lined collars add durability and comfort around upper ankle. Gore-Tex Performance Comfort membranes guarantee waterproof and breathable protection for the life of the boot
- The proprietary Zamberlan Vibram 3D outsole with PU midsoles make for unique and unparalleled fit and performance. The wide lugs can tear through any terrain while the pronounced rocker feels as if it is carrying you and your pack up the mountain. Excellent downhill braking is achieved with a steep heel undercut and superb torsional rigidity is achieved through a solid TPU plate over the arch
- High Resistance Treated hardware allows for an extended life without corrosion, additional durability against rocks and debris, and easy passing of laces towards preventing breakage
True, the Zamberlan isn’t your cheapest boot, but the Zamberlan 1996 Vioz Lux GTX RR is a tough hiking boot and made of handmade full-grain Tuscan leather. Women who battle with Achilles Tendonitis take note of the calf leather-lined collars, ensuring superb comfort and durability around the ankles.
The midsole has a stiff nylon shank and this ensures far more support to the arch of the foot. With these lace-up boots, your feet are protected from the elements with Gore-Tex Performance Comfort waterproofing and breathable membrane.
- Women-specific shape
- Superb comfort and durability
10. Grisport Women’s Hiking Backpacking Boot
- Materials: Upper Made From Cordura Performance Fabric/Suede
- Lining: Cordura Lined
- Heel And Sole: Light Weight Rubber Outsole
The Grisport Women’s Hiking Backpacking Boot is suited for ladies with foot problems and offers Achilles Tendonitis protection simply by the way they are designed. They’ve got their Grisport Anti-Tendonitis Relief configuration. All their ladies walking boots are thoroughly tested to ensure their durability.
Their boots are manufactured with Spotex and Sympatex membranes. This makes the hiking boots breathable and waterproof. They come with ankle support and a heel locking system to ensure feet are secure and comfortable in all boots.
With a rubber sole and boot opening that measures 22cm, this lightweight, waterproof hiking boot with cushioned midsole allows the lace-up boot to be worn for hours while the support system keeps the feet comfortable.
- Lightweight rubber outsole
- Very supportive boot
- Upper is waterproof and comfortable
- No cons found
Buying Guide Questions about buying the Best Women’s Hiking Boots for Achilles Tendonitis
1. What is one of the main things to consider when buying hiking boots for Achilles Tendonitis?
Take note of the heel cushioning. A boot with good heel cushioning protects your heel far better than one with no cushioning. This is because cushioning on the heel reduces the pressure your heel feels when moving. With Achilles Tendonitis, the boots should have a high cushioning system. A hiking boot that is too hard causes the Achilles tendon to work too much, leading to inflammation and pain.
Also, arch support is important because a lack of arch support can result in Achilles Tendonitis. Your hiking boot should match the arch of your feet.
2. What is the cut of hiking boots and is it important for ankle support?
The three basic styles of hiking boots are low cut, mid-cut and high cut.
Low-cut boots come up to just below the ankle. They don’t provide any support to the ankles. For hiking, for people who are predisposed to foot problems, it’s best to look at mid and high-cut boots.
Mid-cut boots come just a bit above the ankle and provide stability for the ankles and just a little bit more protection against debris entering your boots.
High-cut boots sit above the ankle while some will be higher – between the ankle and the calf. They offer support for the ankles and can help to stabilize you with a heavy backpack.
3. How to choose a hiking boot for Achilles Tendonitis?
The best footwear for Achilles Tendonitis will depend on several things such as your size, weight and injury. It is crucial when looking for the best hiking boot for women who have Achilles Tendonitis to have support and stability for the foot and to have a boot that minimizes injury.
If you have Achilles Tendinitis, there are things you can do to avoid injury and one of these is proper boot selection.
As a female hiker with Achilles Tendonitis, look out for these things –
- Your foot should fit snugly in your boot and not move or slide around when you walk.
- Remember though that feet swell in the heat so you require enough room in the front of your toes to accommodate this swelling, otherwise you risk getting blisters.
- In terms of your heels, while walking your heels shouldn’t lift. Also, pushing your toe to the front of the boot should allow you to still slide a couple of fingers down either side of the Achilles tendon.
4. Does the Keen brand of hiking boots have hiking women’s feet in mind?
Yes, they realize that most women’s feet are slightly narrower than men’s. Their Terradora collection has a slimmer fit and supports every part of the foot from the ankle, to the arch and heel as well as other pressure-relieving Achilles features. With the Keen brand, you can say that foot support and comfort are top priorities.
We’ve mentioned some of the top-brand hiking boots for women with Achilles Tendonitis and to get the right boots, you have to be a savvy shopper.
When you shop on Amazon for the best women’s hiking boots for Achilles Tendonitis, you never pay full price on the giant Internet-based enterprise. You can shop around all you want but ultimately they have the most choices ‘under one roof’ and at the best price.